Interaction is the key component in any workplace, especially for team building as well as to boost productivity. A good icebreaker question always works well to break the silence and flow into a productive conversation. Whether you are interacting with your teammate or employee for the first time or conducting an interview, a good kick start is really crucial for a healthy conversation ahead.
An icebreaker question is not just about initiating a conversation but also about creating warmth and get people talking without feeling nervous. Before breaking the icebreaker questions, many of you might have a doubt –
Is there really a need for an icebreaker?
The straightforward answer is YES! An icebreaker is more demanding when:
- You have a new employee on board
- You want to kick off with a discussion about a new project
- You conduct an interview
- You have teammates from assorted backgrounds or locations
- You conduct meetings
Benefits of Icebreaker
A well-selected icebreaker does offer a lot of benefits and can be an effective way to start any session or magically engage people in conversations. Icebreakers really have the ability to:
Sometimes it is the best way to get the job done by people as soon as possible. It helps in building healthy interactions between the team members and accelerate the particular task or process.
A carefully crafted icebreaker question can lead to more and more people to participate and engage. Apart from being just a listener, the group can equally enter into the conversation. This will result in better collaboration.
A fun task
To create an amiable and cordial work environment, icebreaker comes across as a fun task. It can make the new faces in your organization feel relaxed and welcoming. Unlike other meetings, the icebreaker game and activity is super fun.
So now if you are convinced that an icebreaker is beneficial, the next concern would surely be what type of questions would break the ice. Well this depends on the situation and the type of people or group you are interacting with. The question that you might ask among your team in a meeting cannot be asked in an interview. Don’t get confused. Check out the perfect icebreaker questions for a meaningful and friendly start of a conversation.
No matter what question you start with, always start it with a smile 🙂
Icebreaker questions for a team event
A team event is predominantly organized for team-building and every team-building activity should start with a fantastic and of course suitable icebreaker. If it is a small group, inducing laughter and being as creative as possible will work wonders. It can also end up in in-depth conversations. Jokes, playful activities will keep the team event alive and interactive.
Here are some fun icebreaker questions for team events
- If you could add a word to the dictionary, what would that word be, and also what would be the meaning of it?
- If you were an animal, which animal would you love to be and why?
- If you get the superpower to become invisible or to fly like a bird, what would you choose and why?
- If you get a chance to travel and stay at a place for a year, which destination would it be and why?
- A fashion trend that you think is actually a fashion blunder and why?
- How would you describe your dream house?
- If you could use only one technology device, what would it be and why?
- If you were super-rich and never had to work then what would you do with all the time you have?
- Tell us the best advice you have received and how did it change your life?
- What is the dumbest thing that you ever heard and believed to be true?
You can pick any question that is most relatable to your line of work.
Icebreaker questions for work
Awkward silences in a tense work environment need an icebreaker. Whether some new employee is joining, team meeting, warm-up before a conference or general work meetings with the remote team members, the get-to-know questions or the twisted productivity or personality check questions will possibly help everybody at work, get to know each other well.
Here are some meaningful icebreaker questions for work
- What was your first job and how was your experience?
- When you started earning, what was the first thing you bought for yourself?
- If you participated in any talent show what talent would you show and why?
- Describe yourself in 5 hashtags?
- Which are the 5 emojis that describe you the best?
- What would be the best perk that you would ever enjoy in a job?
- The world problem that hits you the most and what solution would you suggest?
- How would you describe your dream job?
- What’s your zodiac sign and how relatable are you?
- What is the one thing that you would like people to stop assuming about you?
Icebreaker questions for a meeting
Whatever is the purpose or topic of the meeting, starting it on a lighter or funny note can make the participants feel relaxed and supportive. It also makes the atmosphere communicative. Not just funny, you can also ask meaningful questions just to know how well the participants are prepared for the meeting. However, make sure to sound amiable.
Here are some friendly icebreaker questions for meetings
- What is the silliest thing that you ever said in a meeting?
- Why do you feel this meeting is important?
- What is something that you would like to do next year that you have never done before?
- How many tasks can you do at once and examples of what would they be?
- What can you do to impress us/me today?
- What skill do you already possess, you think everybody in the world should also have?
- What is the one thing that you think makes you stand out from the crowd?
- What would you do to break awkward silences?
- Which official responsibility of yours, you think should become an Olympic sport?
- If you could invite any historical person to this meeting, who would it be and why?
Icebreaker questions for virtual meeting
It is the period of work from home, virtual meetings, Zoom calls, where the coworkers are spread across the world. Remote team meetings are conducted via a connected environment. Teammates know each other only through videos, no face-to-face meeting. To break the feeling of being distant, engaging virtual icebreakers can help to make a great start and build a friendly relationship.
Here are some engaging icebreaker questions for virtual meetings
- What tip would you give to stay productive and motivate while working virtually?
- Your suggestion to improve virtual meetings?
- What is your favorite work from home outfit?
- So how does your home office space look like?
- How frequently do you take breaks while working from home?
- Be honest, do you actually take shower/bath before attending virtual meetings?
- Do you prefer working from home or from office?
- If you could choose a destination to set your workstation and work, which would it be?
- What do you enjoy the most about working from home?
- What fitness regime you follow to stay fit while working from home?
Icebreaker questions for an interview
Before starting with job-specific questions, make sure you make the candidates comfortable. A good starting point will not only create a good impression on the candidates about your company but also boost their confidence. Do not ask inappropriate, very personal, or illegal questions.
Here are some impressive icebreaker questions for interviews
- Did you find it easy to reach our office?
- Tell us something about yourself?
- One thing you like about your current and one thing you dislike?
- What was the toughest challenge you ever faced?
- If you win 1 billion dollars, what would you do with all that money?
- If you get a chance to be the Boss for one day, what 5 things would you like to change or do?
- What is the best compliment that you received related to your work?
- Any business book you have read and would like to recommend?
- What do you do in your spare time?
- Why did you choose this field?
Now that you have a good, long list of icebreaker questions, relevant to different groups and scenarios, communication and knowing your audience should not be an uphill struggle. Give a shot and break that awkward silence.