Repair, maintenance, or other fixing work at the interior and exterior portion of residential and commercial space are among the common handyman services. Running a handyman service is almost the same as any other business venture that requires proper planning, tracking expenses, quoting prices, etc. Organizing your business finances is essential to make your business sustainable for the long term. Business operation is a vital aspect that decides the future of your business. Therefore, make sure that you have a clear concept about certain areas, like creating a handyman invoice. It is important to know how much to charge for different size jobs and other tricks of creating a professional handyman invoice.
In this article, we will focus on the method of creating a professional handyman invoice.
Let’s discuss more on this!
Purpose of Handyman invoice
Running a handyman service involves managing a lot of clients, tracking numerous bills and invoices, labor payments, and whatnot. Your service could be at multiple places- offices or houses, therefore you need to travel a lot. And, amidst such a hectic schedule, it is difficult to keep track of all the moving parts of your business.
As your business demands dealing with multiple clients, handwritten invoices would consume a lot of your productive hours. This will also divert your attention from your customers as you will be busy tracking unpaid invoices or correcting mistakes of your handwritten invoices. To make your work simple, try out Billbooks free invoice template. Learn how it benefits your business and what is its main purpose:
- Help to track your past-due balances
- Help to get you paid in just a few minutes
- Helps to organize account information of the clients
- You can bill your clients in just no time
- Keeps all the information handy during tax time
Check out the below section to learn how to create a handyman invoice!
Steps to create Handyman invoice
If you want to add professionalism to your business, then it is essential to implement a high-quality invoice in your financial transaction. Such an invoice gives a better impression to your clients about you. Here are the steps of creating a handyman invoice:
- Get a free handyman invoice from any online software.
- Add company or brand logo and set the font and color accordingly to keep parity.
- Add your business name, address, and other contact information
- Itemize the service description and include the prices of each service.
- Next, add the client’s details like the client’s name and address.
- Make a separate column for adding the total amount after adding up all the services.
- Do specific the preferred payment mode.
This is how you organize all the vital information in your invoice. Generate the PDF format of the invoice and send it immediately to your client as soon as it is complete. Billbooks invoice template will ease up your accounting process and will allow you to customize it as per your business needs. Send your clients professional invoices every time with Billbooks.
Various forms of Handyman invoice
By now, you know the steps of creating a professional handyman invoice. Use software that is more easy and comfortable for you. You can send the invoice at your convenience. Implement any mode to send the invoice, like through mail or regular postal mail.
Let’s consider you are specialized in providing HVAC maintenance, but you are planning to add a few more services. Therefore, you need to be thorough with the various types of handyman invoices. Here are some of the forms:
- Home inspector
- Contract labor
Some more details about designing a Handyman invoice
Well creating a handyman invoice is as simple as creating any other invoice. The information outline remains almost the same, and with our guide for creating a professional invoice, you can get it done in just no time. Besides invoicing, there are a few more additional details that would help your business grow and would impress your clients with your professionalism.
Let’s discuss more on this!
1. Creating Customer Management System
Running a handyman industry may bring forth repeat business from your clients if you have a great professional and performance record. Whether repeated tasks from the same customer or enlarging your business keeping your specialization the same, you need a customer management system to track your customer details. This will help you keep every detail of all your clients in place. This way, you can send your invoices easily to them and track the status. Go for any simple yet smart online software that comes with a CMS system to keep a track of the customer details.
2. Flexible payment mode
Well, if you are focused and your luck permits, then you can enlarge your handyman business. A professional invoice and customer management system would be an added advantage to it. But this is not just enough. You need to focus on your payment modes as well. Try to keep multiple and flexible payment modes so that your clients can take care of the invoices immediately.
Accept credit or debit cards for better and faster payment processing. Keep a card swipe machine as well for those who prefer an instant card payment. You can even use online payment modes like bank transfers or payment apps to speed up the entire process. Besides your job performance, multiple payment options will allow your clients to keep coming back.
3. On-time payment system
One of the common problems in the handyman business is to receive on-time payment. Here are few steps which would help you to avoid the issue of delayed payments:
- Accept all payment forms for instant clearance of invoices.
- Mention the payment due date clearly to avoid any delay.
- Notify your clients after the due date, so that the invoice does not get lost in the mail.
- Make the payment terms very clear. Implement a late fee policy so that you don’t have to chase your clients when it’s time to receive payment.
- Do add early payment incentives so that customers settle all the dues to avail special rebate on early payments.
- Lastly, make sure every point is very mentioned clearly and specifically in the invoice to avoid any confusion.
4. Provide an estimate with accuracy
To prove your credibility as a business owner, you must provide an accurate estimate. As you visit your client’s property they would expect you to provide an estimate which should be as close to accurate as possible. This is not that difficult as you may think and need no pen-and-paper work. Get an online invoicing tool that enables you to take notes, add photos, and help create estimates. Arrange all the details and send the estimate immediately to your clients through the software so that you don’t miss the contract.
5. Quoting rates for customer
Are you worried about how to charge your clients? Well, overcharging and undercharging is a common problem that most business owners face and especially beginners. You must rate intelligently to get more customers without running into losses. Charging your clients includes various factors:
- Your experience
- Size of the work
- Time required
- Types of machinery involved, etc
Types of jobs and average pricing:
- Small job: It includes toilet repairing, fixing water spout in the bathroom, etc.
- Time needed: 1-2 hours
- Price: $80-$150
- Medium jobs: It includes installing a new mailbox at the entrance of your house or commercial space.
- Time needed: 2-4 hours
- Pricing: $160-$300
- Large jobs: It includes adding new doors in your house, or new stairs, or transforming a closet into a shoe shelf.
- Time needed: A couple of days
- Pricing: $300+, prices may vary depending upon the heavy machinery used.
6. Pricing method
You know how much to charge, but it is also important to implement the correct pricing technique for the respective task to avoid complex calculators and error-free invoices. Here are two main pricing techniques:
Average handyman per hour rate varies between $60 to $65.The amount varies and can go up to $125 depending upon your professional experience and difficulty of the job. Hourly rate is advantageous for those kinds of jobs that run for longer hours than expected. But this could turn down the customers as the amount may vary from the estimated figure.
Per project rate:
Project rates are generally best for clients as they could arrange their budget accordingly and get ready for the expenses. While this may not be an impressive technique for business owners, as they may not be able to compensate if the project runs more than the estimated timeframe.
With this guide, you can create a professional handyman invoice. Follow the guide to structure your business finances and customer management system systematically for better performance. So go ahead and design your template with Billbooks.